When trying to sell your home, keep in mind that you are in a competition with other sellers in your area. As with any race, you have to strategize and execute if you want to win. Follow some of the tips below to get your home in top form and insure you beat out the competition.
- Check out your competition. Drive through the neighborhood and look for homes that are for sale. Keep an eye out for open houses and go to them whenever possible. Make a mental note of the condition of the homes and how they're priced. You will probably start to notice a trend: the homes that are in the best shape and priced the most competitively sell the fastest and for the most money.
- Put your plan of attack together. With the help of your Realtor , you can compile a list of items that should be repaired, updated or cleaned to insure your home looks its best come showing time. You might even what to spring for a Professional Stager. They are expert at making a home look professionally decorated and uncluttered.
- Clear out the clutter. One of the things a Realtor or Professional Stager is going to suggest is that you remove anything that adds to a cluttered look. This includes large furniture or too much furniture, pictures, knick-knacks, etc. You'll be amazed at how open and clean your home will look when these things are gone.
- Clean, clean, clean! I don't think I can emphasize enough how important cleaning the house is. This is not your typical weekly house cleaning. This is probably going to be the most thorough cleaning you've ever done if you're doing it right. Since the first impression is so important, you want to make the buyer feel like they could move right in without having to even touch a mop or sponge. Don't forget the outside, basement and garage too.
- Make sure every little detail is pristine. This list includes mailboxes, shutters, trim, flooring and walls. If you've got marks all over the walls, chips in your trim and a cock-eyed shutter, the buyer is going to wonder what other maintenance you've left undone.
- Be honest with yourself. Everyone thinks their home is the best one in the neighborhood but we all know that can't be true right? Check out those open houses, even if they're not in your neighborhood, and really compare the homes interior and exterior to yours. Have you done everything you can to insure you get the maximum price for your home? If you leave out some of these steps, you could be sitting on your home for months and when it does eventually sell, it will bring a lot less money.
- Hire the right agent. Make sure you hire an agent that knows what's going on in your neighborhood, has a great track record and maximizes your marketing. Your job is to prepare the house to sell, their job is to market and sell it. With the right agent on your side, your team is bound to win!
The Boyle Team with Keller Williams are experts in Marco Island real estate and have the best marketing program in the area. Contact us for more information even if you're in the early stages. We can mail or email you any information you might need. We're also happy to drop it by your home; just let us know what's convenient for you.